Saturday, November 22, 2008

I have a voice!

My heart is fraught with yearnings deep concealed,
With strivings of a spirit unresigned --
Ye burning thoughts! O be ye confined,
Lest in too fierce a fire my soul be steeled!
~James Fenimore Cooper, Jr.

I always thought it would be years before I felt comfortable in wanting to make myself heard - in sharing what I have learned throughout the years - in essence, being unafraid to say what I think. But now at the age of seventeen I can't confine my burning thoughts anymore.

Doubtless "burning thoughts" seems a bit melodramatic, but sitting here in my bedroom, looking at my books, I feel justified in using Cooper's words.

I read, and that word - that four letter word, come to think of it - means so much to me I don't know where to begin.

I read, so I have kept company with the greats, from whom I've learned ideas long forgotten, long since resigned to the depths of Time. I am the child of a thousand lands, and I love them all. I have lived since the dawn of time.

I have lived, and I have loved so many times...through a book.

Can anyone feel so deeply and not speak out? Especially if something one loves so dearly is fading away. In the world of 2008 I have only seen echoes of those things I love best, and they are fading away unremembered.

The world is losing something infinitely precious as the old ideas, the old principles, the old values, and the old heroes become nothing more but stories, not worth the time spent reading them.

I don't want to forget them; I don't think I can. I've noticed that anything can make me remember them and so love them more.

Hence the name of this blog: Memento Mori. Remember you are going to die.

But just because you'll die doesn't mean what you've said, who you are, should be forgotten. That's what I'm fighting for -- to ensure that everything that once was will not be forgotten in the light of our new discoveries and mindsets.

As the song goes,
"Remember, I will still be here,
As long as you hold me in your memory.
Remember, when your dreams have ended,
Time can be transcended.
I live forever.
Remember me."
~Remember Me, sung by Josh Groban.

3 comments:

the thing that should not be said...

wow you really like josh groban. cant say iv ever heard of him before. but we dont get too much of everyone elses music down here in australia. your not one of those people who think we ride around in kangaroo's, are you???

Mary Sue said...

:D No, I didn't. Can people actually ride on kangaroos? :D :p

the thing that should not be said...

physically impossible. were too fat. plus the inside of a kangaroo's pouch isnt all to pleasant. when the young crawl into the pouch, their still covered in blood and bits of placenta. and they dont leave the pouch for several weeks. so all their waste and bodily excretements start to build up and smell...